THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We're #8! We're #8!

I was shopping for groceries on the weekend when I saw Maclean's on the impulse rack. Since you're never far from my thoughts, Windsor, I couldn't resist checking up on you and hearkened back to my days as a fast moving News Editor, getting Sunday night emails from public affairs with embargoed info that actually made me feel like I was a for-real journalist, before the glamour of professional blogging came along.

I haven't crunched all the data yet, I'll leave that to my esteemed colleagues at the mothership, but even at a glance, it was a pleasant surprise to see UWindsor out of the double digits of comprehensive universities. I come from a time when the entire ranking fallout season was dedicated to positive spin on the school's pitiful performance. This year, it would seem the university's efforts have not gone unnoticed.

Of course, we still take a drubbing in the reputation survey, and the current upward momentum is in response to initiatives started three years ago [according to a stats prof I heard speak back in the day concerning the rankings].

Lord help me, Windsor, but I just can't help from being an optimist, and with the medical school completed and the engineering building on the way, it's not unthinkable to think that this upward movement is a trend that could continue.

I would also suggest to Gord Henderson and all the other down-nose-lookers that condemn the university community as the out of touch ivory tower dwellers who continuously turn their backs on the city, that an improved performance in Maclean's benefits the city as well as the school, and when we put ourselves a couple slots above a school like York, we're turning heads that heretofore weren't even considering us. Self-improvement starts at home, n'est-ce pas?

Somebody tell me if the university is still 'withdrawn' from the rankings? That was an Uncle Ross initiative back in the day, I'm wondering if Wildeman has carried it over?

But the monkey on the back of our fine school continues to be the matter of reputation, and the lovely ladies [including D'Arcy] of the Lance Out Loud look at what you think of the subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home