THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Suddenly, We Go Highbrow?

Apparently this has been floating around for the last little while, but again, I'm slow on the uptake Windsor, so I'm just getting around to it now.

Ajesh Patalay over at the UK's Observer newspaper has dug up what he considers to be the 50 greatest arts videos on YouTube. The list runs the gamut, from pop milestones like Madonna's first ever performance at New York's Danceteria and the Beatles' last performance on the roof of Apple Records, to literary moments like Sylvia Plath reading 'Daddy' and Jack Kerouac reading 'On The Road' while backed by Steve Allen on piano [I was once, in my youth, fascinated by an irascible young cancer patient who owned a box set of those recordings], to historic moments in art like Jackson Pollock painting in 1951, or Jean-Michel Basquiat being interviewed before he exploded on the art scene in the '80s.

But if I had to pick one, it would be a rare performance by Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie doing 'Hot House' at the Downbeat Magazine Awards in 1952. I'm by no means a jazz expert, but it definitely makes me bop in my chair, and Dizzy will alway be the coolest man of all time.



Be sure to check that list, there's tons of amazing footage I didn't mention. It's nice to be reminded of the quality the Internet can bring us. And here you thought YouTube was nothing but profanity and shots to the nuts. Shame on you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home