THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Friday, August 15, 2008

Amherstburg's Dream Denied

My love of procrastination started early in life, strangely enough. The earliest recorded memory I have of putting something off to the last minute was a speech in sixth grade, circa 1987. With no ideas for my three-to-five minute masterpiece of public speaking, I opted, after some peeved nudging from my parents, to write about the HMS Detroit, the last ship built in Amherstburg's Navy Yard Park, and the subject of what was a furious fundraising drive to raise money to build a full size replica of the ship. I made it to the Stella Maris Elementary finals, but didn't win.

This was also my first moment of feeling like a misunderstood genius. Ah well.

Anyway, 21 years after I hustled that speech together, the dream is dead: a steel hull, the only progress project managers ever made, has been sold at a bargain basement price to an organization in Rhode Island.

The project cost the town millions of dollars, from both fundraisers, taxpayers and federal grants. Oh, my hometown. Clusterf*ck, thy name is Amherstburg.

And someone tell Garnet Fox before he speaks to the press again that 'horrendously' is not usually paired with the word, 'good'. I swear.

Sorry for the small town gossip, Windsor. But with the UWSA still on hiatus, I need to get my fill of incompetent politicians elsewhere. HA! Oh, I'm a kidder, Windsor. *arches eyebrow*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home