THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Monday, July 28, 2008

And Did I Forget to Mention...?

Machine Girl: Hysterically gory. Also hysterically bad. Though to be fair, I'm sure it was trying to be. Still, I'm a little concerned about the opening credits, which listed the movie as a Tokyo Shock co-production or original or whatever [Tokyo Shock being the North American distributor for a lot of weird and extreme Japanese movies]. The movie is like a checklist of every bad otaku-fantasy-baiting cliche. I suspect this was totally the point, but it made it difficult to even enjoy the mayhem because I kept thinking in the back of my head, 'Damn, is this all they think I want out of my storytelling? The thinnest of plots and an ongoing red rain?' Violence is cool, y'all, but without something to give it weight or meaning, the visceral pleasures run short in a hurry.

Stepbrothers: Dear McKay, Ferrell, and Reilly. Please take at least a couple of years off before doing anything again. Pass the message to Apatow and Rogen. The well is getting mighty dry.

Honestly, that movie could have been a series of web shorts and it would have been funnier than the movie, since it wouldn't have had to be encumbered by nuisances like plot. I just know I'm getting sick of every three months bellowing, 'From the Cinematographer of Superbad and the Gaffer of Talladega Nights!'. Let's just cool out for a moment, everyone.

Oh, and also: two lines from the trailer were not in the actual film. This is bullshit, and it's the second time McKay's done it to me. That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home