THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Monday, May 26, 2008

Stuck in 1994, Not Coming Back

Things I miss about hip-hop.

  1. Rappers who could dance. This was mandatory back in the day, even Run-DMC were known to bust out a few moves here and there. Hell, the Beasties still exhibit intricate footwork, the three of them working the stage in a sort of upright Moebius strip. At the very least, if you didn't dance yourself, you had a pair of dancers in your crew to break it down while you rocked the mic. For my money, though, no one could touch Big Daddy Kane. That man could rap and dance his ass off with no hype man.

  2. Fat Rappers. The Fat Boys. Chubb Rock. The Overweight Lover MC Heavy D. Fat Joe. The Notorious. B.I.G. Big Pun. You need to understand, as a chubby boy growing up, rappers were the only people on TV who looked like me. And they got girls, too! Usually because they had to know how to dance [see #1.]. They inspire me still: half of them are dead now, which gets me to drag my ass to the gym. Some days.

  3. Duos. Or at the very least, groups that had their own DJs. Eric B. & Rakim, Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Gang Starr [Guru and Premier]. I love the idea of the DJ producing all the beats, who knows his MC inside and out and can play to his strengths better than anyone else.
In a world of ripped, tattooed solo artists spending millions of dollars for another Timbaland/Neptunes/Kanye beat [not hating, but they don't work for everyone], I long for a day when the goal was to make the head bob, not to sell downloads on iTunes. Maybe one day....haha! Sorry, I thought I could keep a straight face on that one.

The dream lives on though, you just have to follow it to the other side of the planet [more on that in a future post, with an interesting spin]. To that end: A 2007 track from the now Pete Rock-less CL Smooth, remixed by the Japanese producer Shin-ski of Martiangang, featuring the sickest piano sample I've heard since Nujabes. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

this track is eating my brain in a completely good way!

7:16 PM

 
Blogger The Trail said...

My thing in full swing, when the bell go *ding* the figure sounds about right, cha-ching!

The sickness.

8:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home