THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Selected Correspondence of Rogers and The Trail

Following up yesterday's meandering thoughts on writing, I wanted to thank the folks who emailed with encouragement and kind words, and Rogers for his public affirmation of me.

While I wasn't fishing for compliments despite how it might have appeared, I thank you for them anyway.

With the benefit of a day, I think what I was trying to get at was this notion of what criteria would have to be met in order to tell people I'm a writer. The statement itself reeks of pretense, and begs the obvious follow up, 'What have you written?' And what the hell am I supposed to say then? I'd have more backup if I said I was a drummer, at least there's some tangible material I could produce, not half finished scraps.

I don't know, Ryan, when people ask you what you do, how often do you say 'writer'? I always used to say editor. Even now I say I 'do a blog'. It's such a loaded designation, IMO.

But I'm coming to terms with it, and with the notion that getting the work done, while fun, is incredibly time consuming and filled with rejections. I've never been the sort to try something when failure was a given. So to carry on, knowing full well I will fail, repeatedly, before achieving a modicum of success, is a rather large attitude shift for me. And the snowballing support I've been getting in my private life for this twiddling has only strengthened my resolve.

The last book on writing I read, while entirely far too new-agey [writing is my lover? What the hell are you talking about, woman?] made the valid point that in order to enter the writing life, you have to change your current one. I happen to like my current life, and I don't know how often I'll be able to tell friends/family/The Lady/Guitar Hero 'no, I can't do that, I'm writing right now.'

At any rate, I'll knock off the navel gazing. I just felt a need to get out all the junk that's been bottling up as I read more and more about what it is to write creatively, rather than editorialize or report.

Back after the dishes are done.

Best,
The Trail

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home