THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Big City Living

Typically when I work the night shift I take the subway the whole way, since there's presently no eastbound streetcar service from St. Clair West station. To take it, you have to go streetside and walk a block east to Tweedsmuir Ave, and catch it there.

Since I prefer not to stand out by myself at 11.30 at night, I usually just hop a couple trains and ride them all the way to my neighbourhood subway stop.

Tonight I didn't have a choice, as an announcement informed myself and the other passengers that due to an 'major security incident' at Spadina station, no trains were going further south than St. Clair West. No issues there, I could take the streetcar, even though it meant shelling out an extra fare. It beat dealing with shuttle buses in the like. But it begged the question of what happened at Spadina?

Well, a girl got shot on the train, that's what happened. About two hours and change before I took it.

No, this does not mean I'm going all crazy about living in the big city, people get shot in Windsor, too. Reports suggest the girl was shot in the leg, and not fatally. But still, in that small a space, all it takes is one bullet fired for any idea of social norms and civilized behaviour go out the window. Thankfully the situation didn't break down any worse than it did.

Weird, weird, weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home