THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Monday, March 31, 2008

Big City Livin pt. II

So late Friday I mentioned that my commute home was diverted due to a shooting on the Spadina line.

Since then: I've learned a boy was stabbed multiple times just outside my work [that explains the cops and ambulances when I left work].

Stopped short of pummeling some pile of toothless crazy who made strangling motions at Lady Trail on the subway.

Saw whole dead pigs hanging in a cooler at St. Lawrence Market [Lady Trail was not amused].

Stumbled upon a massive protest at Yonge and Dundas, with about 250 Free Tibet types on one side of the street, and three times as many Chinese nationals on the other.

Got challenged to a back alley fight by a homeless guy who didn't believe I only had subway tokens [a note to the homeless: at the very least, write a funny sign. Sitting with your hat out does not encourage me to give you money. This is a free market system, entertain me, please.]

Gorged myself at the Bloor St. Diner's brunch buffet, complete with jazz trio and chocolate fountain.

And do you think I had my camera on me for any of it? Of course not, what do you think I am, prepared?

***
So Wrestlemania has come and gone, and while I didn't shell out the dough this year, I've already gotten up to speed and was pleasantly surprised by some of the results, notably CM Punk winning Money in the Bank, Randy Orton retaining against John Cena and HHH, and Undertaker getting a do-over for his scheduled long title run from last year.

But the real story of the night was the last match of the greatest of all time, Ric Flair. If I ever had any reason to buy the show, if would have been to see that match, as it happened. From what I've seen, Flair and Shawn Michaels told a hell of a story, and drew the curtain on Flair's career in the only way it could, with the Nature Boy asking no quarter and HBK giving none.

Even though no one ever really retires in wrestling, it would be a fitting end to Flair's in-ring career if he never laced them up again. So let me join the chorus of thanks for the greatest to ever step in the ring: the game will never be the same without the dirtiest player in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home