THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A Brief Word on Canadian Television

Caught the series debut of jPod on the CBC tonight, based on Douglas Coupland's novel of the same title, about a group of miscreants making videogames in Vancouver at a thinly disguised parody on Electronic Arts. I thought the opener did a decent job for the most part, though it wasn't as good as I thought it could have been. With the exception of Cowboy and Steve the incoming VP, I thought most of the actors were pretty bland, even Alan Thicke, who I had high hopes for. And the technocolour product shots sprinkled throughout, in homage to the book's random insertion of system specs or the development team behind Photoshop, didn't really work for me in a visual medium. Plus, the hints of romance at the end of the episode were really rushed.

Still, there is hope, and it's always a good thing to see an honest to God new Canadian show. I imagine I'll stick with it. Ooh, until the writer's strike is over and new episodes of House are on again.

Now, did you see how Bree's cubicle was filled with Dunnys and other assorted vinyl? I'm a trendsetter, Windsor, I try to tell you these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home