THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Before bed, some random

Annie is a wonderfully random young lady I work with, who is Chinese and had me believing on the subway that her father was a member of the Red Army. It is grossly unfair that you cannot enjoy the oddities that spew from her mouth, so from time to time I will grace you with Things Annie Says(TM).

'Are you going to the staff party this weekend, Annie?'
'I think so. It'll be nice to drink with other people for a change...'

Elsewhere...

So Uncle Steve dropped his MacWorld keynote today, and the only item of note is the MacBook Air, being touted as the world's thinnest notebook computer [they do make computers, remember]. While it is certainly cool, given my tendency to smack my satchel into things around me when I walk, it does not fill me with the greatest sense of confidence. Basically, I'd have it for a week before cracking it in half.

Still, if you felt a rumble in the air this afternoon, it was the collective erections of the countless iDisciples fawning over the commercial.

I think I respect the fact that this dude has enough Star Wars toys to pull this off, but I'm not sure.

When I worked midnights at the gas station back in the day, on Saturday nights the guy I took over for was named Sami. Sami was the from Lebanon and was the most sweet hearted guy you'd ever meet. And when I would come in, Sami would immediately hand me a copy of the weekend Windsor Star comics section and make me read Garfield. He would wait expectantly until I gave my perfunctory chuckle, and Sami would burst out laughing.

"The cat!" he said, "he has no respect!" To Sami, this was the height of humour writing. For the rest of us, there is Lasagna Cat.

Michael Pollan, the author of a hot seller around my work called In Defense of Food was interviewed on NPR a couple weeks ago. You can listen to it here. The book's argument is pretty simple: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Which works fine for me until we have to face the unfortunate fact that meat is delicious. But that's not the point, the point is that nutritionism is at best a pseudo science that is still imperfect, and that's what Pollan's book is arguing.

You may have heard that a Scientology recruitment video or some other such thing featuring Tom Cruise was on YouTube for about seventeen seconds before it got yoinked down. Well, the fine folks at Defamer got their mitts on a copy and cut the ten minutes down to a much more manageable one and a half. And no, I don't know what an SP is or what KSW means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home