THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Most Important Decision You'll Ever Make

Momentous day today, Windsor. After Global Morning weatherman Bill Coulter commented on this very blog, I thought things couldn't get any better. Until Global Morning traffic hottie Pooja Handa came into the store today. Guess what? She's hotter in person. The circle is complete.

And apparently I ruined Christmas this year, by deducing what Lady Trail was planning to obtain for me this holiday season [even though she practically invited me to do so]. My lovely life partner, the grandest Lady I know, who is diligently making her way through an endless pile of tenth grade term exams as I type this, was planning on getting me a new videogame console, either a PS3 or an XBox 360.

I adore her. She apparently doesn't like me much, as said purchase will ensure I am not seen for at least the next five months. The question now becomes, which system?

Initially I would have said PS3, for the backwards compatibility, but that's been thrown out the window. As far as I can tell, it's really a matter of, 'What do I want to play besdies Grand Theft Auto 4, since I can do that on either, same with Guitar Hero, Assasin's Creed, Smackdown vs. Raw and most third party titles these days. Of course, I am inviting feedback. I am open to both systems, with a slight Sony loyalty, but nothing that can't be overruled by common sense. Things to consider:

1. I don't give half a damn about Halo. Or first person shooters in general, with the possible exception of Bioshock.

2. I am testy about controllers, and while I am willing to try the 360 controller, anyone who doesn't think the Playstation controller is a beautiful work of art is a fail.

3. With investments of this scope, I tend to lean towards the longer lasting choice. The 360 already has a few years under the belt.

4. I am intrigued by online. Explain to me why I should spend money to play over XBox Live?

5. I will only get one, so don't bother telling me to get both.

The Lady and I thank you both for your input.

And if this post seems lacklustre, it's because the interweb is being a pain in my arse tonight. I suspect connectivity issues. I'll try to get y'all some linkage later tonight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Hallett said...

Weighing in:

- The life of the 360 won't matter. It's only a year ahead (the first year of any console is a wash anyhow, no good games), and the system still has legs.
- You can get backwards compatibility if you buy the 80gb (or keep your PS2).
- Xbox Live is only really worth it for games you will play online
consistently (i.e. Halo, or FPS). I can't speak to the PS3 equivalent, but I've only ever read that it's "not Xbox Live"
- The 360 controller is fine. The trigger buttons on the PS3 are actually kind of odd.
- Halo may not, but games like BioShock, Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas will change your mind about FPS. They did for me.

I have adopted a be happy with 360, maybe get a PS3 when FFXIII comes out (and the PS3 is cheaper).

My 2 cents.

9:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home