THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Stuffs

Honestly Windsor, either I'm completely off the mark this week or it is beyond slow out there?
  • Let's talk a spell about the citizen journalism moment we're all in the middle of, specifically as it relates to the Vancouver taser case. To recap: last month Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski waits 10 hours in Vancouver airport, begins to get agitated, starts tossing furniture around. The RCMP gets called in to calm him down and end up tasing him twice, ultimately killing him. And the whole thing gets caught on video.

    It's an interesting scenario, as in similar cases we as media consumers typically don't have raw footage to judge for ourselves. And looking at this one, the mind boggles, I have to admit. I'm not saying there aren't legitimate times to zap someone, but in this case, Dziekanski appears to calm down once the cops show up, but they tase him anyway. Some reports indicate Dziekanski picked up a stapler from a nearby table, which caused the RCMP's reaction, but I'm hard pressed to figure out what sort of threat that posed.

    You know I hate to side on people who automatically jump on the 'cops = bad' bandwagon, but I'm having a hrad time seeing how this was justified. Watch the vid, surreal in its eerie calm until the confrontation, and decide for yourself.

    Of course, I have to warn that the vid is, ultimately, a man being killed, regardless of how graphic it isn't. My first question was why the hell was the guy filming it all anyway?

  • Briefly: If you missed it, take a moment to read the retiree's editorial on litter that ran in this week's issue. I'm not saying he's not right, I actually agree with him. I don't agree with his attempts to appeal to the youth. Dude and Dudette? Really?; the details make no sense to me, but a 39-year-old surfer has published a respectable theory of the universe; and a Georgia substitute teacher gives a class of fourth graders the best day of school ever in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home