THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Sound the Guns, Start the Conflict


















Word count as of this morning: 1,265
Word count as of this moment: 1,265

What can I say, I'm nocturnal, and it's not late enough yet. I know what I want to get done before bed.

Listened to the inaugural WrimoRadio podcast as I tackled the dishes this afternoon, and was surprised to find founder Chris Baty acknowledging to guest novelist Deanna Rayburn that one of the criticisms of the whole affair is that it encourages people to crank out crappy novels. The more I surf the forums, the more troubling I find that fact.

I can admit the first time I did it in 2004, I was merely interested to see if I could puke out 50,000 words, and I exceeded that goal by about 1,500. Maybe if I'm lucky, 500 of those words were good.

As I've said, my goal this year is to actually try to write something of a higher, if somewhat derivative, quality. If I make it, it will be the longest work of fiction I've worked on...well, ever. This is a serious endeavour for me, and I get a little upset the more I discover that many participants are really just fan-fic'ers using the event as an excuse to write an even larger opus centered around anime boys making out. I just don't think I can relate to the majority of my fellow Nanos, who choose to write about flying dolphins or vampires or fantasy kingdoms or what have you.

Now, I'm not nearly as upset about this fact as this dickhole [not an insult, it's a technical designation. I don't think he could deny that's what his intention was], but on the most basic level, I see where he's coming from, because under all the sound and fury he's just arguing semantics.

Yes, 50,000 words is not a novel. And calling yourself a novelist should you meet the goal is pretty ridiculous, and I've never described myself as such. I don't even describe myself as a writer [even though I've been paid to put words on a page or screen for four years now]. Clearly, the dickhole knows of what he speaks, [got that 1,085,102nd spot on Amazon's bestsellers held down on lock, yo] even if he takes himself way too seriously. I got some poems put in the small press when I was in undergrad, I don't call myself a poet *shrug*.

At any rate, I can agree that a lot of the appeal for Nano is the excuse it gives you to be pretentious and sit in coffee shops filling black notebooks with hackneyed metaphors while chain smoking clove cigarettes, and who doesn't love that?!

But when December rolls around and when the dickholes of the world have turned their attention elsewhere [honestly, what is it about LiveJournal that brings out the best in people?] Nanowrimo encourages people to care about books, and writing, and art. And are any of those arenas doing so well that we can begrudge those people their passion? Cause I'll tell you what, dickhole: those people are way more likely to buy a small press horror novel than I'll ever be.

At any rate, I have a story to work on, which is, like, SRSBSNS.

lolcats and funny pictures

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rogers said...

Nanowrimo - Day 1: 0 words.
Let's see if I can't DOUBLE that today ;)

So far, the hardest part is naming the damned protagonist. I hate him already.

11:47 AM

 
Blogger The Trail said...

Dude, I hate naming characters with a violent passion. My protagonist is currently referred to in my notes as 'N,' short for 'narrator.'

11:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home