THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Friday, October 26, 2007

On Radio, Seven Months Late

Damn, sorry about that Windsor, but the life, she gets away from you sometimes, and getting to IKEA on the subway is an adventure in itself.

Skimming a piece on CJAM's pledge drive over on Daily News today, I saw a comment by News Director Ryan Solomon mentioning a reformat over at Detroit NPR station WDET. A quick jaunt to the website shows how accurate that is. Syndication city over there. And that means Liz Copeland is off the air.

I've mentioned before that I generally love everything about Detroit radio. It's a love that was forged in the hopeless black of midnight shifts at an Amherstburg gas station, and the one show that got me through the night was the Liz Copeland show.

If you knew her husky voice and flawless musical selection, there's nothing more I can say. If you didn't know her, I could never do her justice. She was without a doubt the best radio show I've ever heard, and the standard I measure all others by. In the years since I stopped staying up late, Johnny in the Morning on KEXP is the only show that has come close. But that sort of show works better in the night, when it seems like the world has abandoned you, and the radio is the only thing that connects you to the rest of the world. It's a very intimate communion between host and listener. And like every boy who heard her, I had a bit of crush on Liz.

Thankfully, the internet means nothing is ever gone forever, and Liz continues doing her thing online. The last week of her WDET show are archived online [check EVENTS]. I'm listening to her final show as I type this. Copeland was the sort of host who could play a block of songs that reminded you why you loved music in the first place [like the Stevie Wonder/Ray Charles/Jamie Liddell block I'm currently enjoying]. You can't ask for more than that.

I know I'm late in raising my glass, Ms. Copeland, but thank you for getting me through night after night, as I mopped the floors and filled the pop coolers. It might not have been the best years of my life, but I will always remember you fondly. The late night airwaves will realize how much they miss you in the months to come.

First Big Sonic Heaven, now this. Damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home