THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

La Random

Sorry for the delay childrens, but Daddy had an evening interview at Indigo Yorkdale again, and let me just say, should management Google my name, I can think of no better retail experience I would like to have.

I find it interesting that a year after I wrote about him, I still get a considerable amount of traffic from people looking for info on Peter Rigo and his Dominion Christian Centre. I've never found out if anything of note happened since, either with the centre or with the charges against the Brun del Re family. If anyone does, let me know.

In the age of 16-bit I was a dyed in the wool Sega-boy. I liked the controller better, I liked the headphone jack, I liked that I could stick a hunk of plastic into it and play 8-bit Sega games, all of it. But the wonder of torrents has recently brought the SNES into my life again [not for the first time, mind you], and damn if some of those classics don't play as well today as they always did. You all are lucky I tore myself away from Yoshi's Island long enough to write this.

The best part about going home for the holidays is hanging in the parents' basement and going through the stuff you want to keep, but left behind. Before we moved to Toronto, I gathered up my extensive VHS collection of anime, thinking there might be a spot for it. No dice, so it's now in the basement here. Last weekend I brought a box of books I had left, since our shelf space is considerably greater. Having the books here now means I get to reacquaint myself with them, notably some old graphic novels I forgot I owned, namely the criminally overlooked It's a Bird by Stephen Seagle and Teddy Kristiansen. A semi-fictional memoir of how a guy who doesn't believe in Superman as a concept is asked to write his comic book, and how he works out the Man of Steel's relevance while dealing with his own family issues. It's a cool ass book, and I'm glad I found it sitting behind the couch.

That, and Watchmen. I've read it a billion times, but it's always amazing. Go read it before they make it into a serviceable movie that doesn't do the book any justice.

Oh, and the Liberals won a majority. In the end, Tory couldn't even win his riding. Yikes.

To the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home