THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Glutton for Punishment

















Three years ago a friend of mine suckered me into joining her in the exercise in madness that is National Novel Writing Month [or NaNoWriMo]. For the unfamiliar, the gist is simple.

30 days, 50,000 words. That's it.

It doesn't have to be good, or even coherent, the important thing is that it gets written. The event serves as a way to impose a deadline on yourself, so you no longer sit around saying, 'One day I'll write a novel.' Make it today, and earn the bragging rights by doing it in a month.

The first time, I shat out 51,000 words of thinly [and I mean thinly] veiled autobiography that liberally robbed from Dave Eggers and was maybe, if I'm generous, 0.04 per cent readable. That was the easy year. So easy, I ended up doing it in a week, because I procrastinate.

As you can see by the new graphic on down and to the left, my dumb ass is planning to do it again. And this time, I'm going to make it good. Rather, I'm going to try. I'll keep you updated from time to time.

If any of you are as dumb as I am, click the graphic over there to get to the NaNo site [a Windsor sub-community has already popped up] sign up and start praying. The insanity starts November 1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home