THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The State of the World

The Quarterly Dupont Report
Windsor Star reporter Doug Schmidt must have been getting bored sitting around polishing his national newspaper award. Lucky for him, the coroner's inquest into the 2005 murder nurse Lori Dupont kicked off this week, giving him another series of articles to milk the corpse for.

I understand the coroner's inquest is necessary, Windsor. And I may even grant that what goes on there is in the public interest, but I've made no secret around here that I think the Star is far too eager to milk the tragedy for front page copy. Complete with the lead about sobs and tears, reminding you all that THIS IS A SAD THING.

This is why I don't know what to say when people ask me if I still want to be a journalist.

Bush picks a new target at UN
Speaking at the General Assembly of the United Nations today President Bush used his time at the mic not to go after Iran or Venezuela or any of the usual flies in his ointment, opting instead to announce new economic sanctions against the military dictatorship of Myanmar, while calling on the UN to "return to its roots" by promoting democracy globally.

Bush also expressed a willingness to expand membership of the almighty Security Council, specifically to [longtime US ally] Japan.

The Raw Report [or, what passes for sports coverage here]
Shelton and Beth Phoenix v. Jeff Hardy and Candace Michelle was the only thing worth watching. Seriously, I could watch Jeff and Shelton go all day, and Beth Phoenix is the best Diva I've seen in a long time. She's just a beast. I'd really like to see her get in a ring with Victoria or Melina.

The rest of the show was boring as hell. When I'm flipping over to Halo coverage on G4, you know I could care less about what's happening on Raw. I didn't even bother with the last 20 minutes, I just read the results on the website. Hopefully Coach's defeat to Cena will get him the hell off my television and put Regal back where he belongs next week. The Hornswoggle stuff was well done at the end of the show, but the Melina stuff was just sophomoric, even if I do appreciate her hotness.

The cage match left me wondering if Carlito was getting suspended too, after the beating he took from the H. Here's the thing: Hunter's been a main eventer for what? Almost 10 years? Does he need to keep laying out young guys to that extent? Does it really get his character over that much? Nope. It just buries the young guys. Put him in a match with Umaga, and have him lose. Honestly, Trips could lose every match he's in til he retires, he'd still be as popular as he is now. But no, they'll put the belt on him by Survivor Series.

To recap: you missed nothing.

Briefly
Ghost ships, Wal-Mart thieves and pirates: the best Florida story ever?

See you on Break.com: YouTube to use 30-second bumper ads at the start of clips.

When you're a polygamist, you probably shouldn't tell the old and busted wife how sexually skilled the new hotness wife is. Not while she's holding a knife, anyway.

The Coles Notes version of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's Q&A at Columbia. Also, the extended Director's Cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home