THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE LANCE, THE UNIVERSITY OF WINDSOR STUDENT NEWSPAPER:
NEWS, REVIEWS AND COMMENTARY, COURTESY OF THE PAPER TRAIL

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Happy Wednesday

One week and one severely tested friendship later, a brand spanking new video for you to enjoy. I, for one, think the opening is fresh!



Yes, I know I misused the word 'genre' in the opening segment.

As an added extra, and for context purposes, the video of the writer with the questionable delivery can be found here [skip to the three minute mark, that's where it all goes downhill]. Geekery abounds, as it's a post on the state of comics journalism, but you should have no problem getting a sense of what I was referring to.

A good example of Amanda Congdon's headflippery can be found here.

Granted, a lot of people found Congdon's style appealing. I am not one of them. The default approach for a lot of vloggers [including myself, though I'm trying to wean myself off of it], seems to be a combination of 'wacky' coupled with 'too cool for school'. I think that hurts the credibility of the medium more than the nontraditional mode of transmission ever could. Or maybe I'm just too much of an old fart to appreciate it.

We love to hear what you Comm Studies majors and burgeoning media guerilla types think about stuff like this. Always feel free to leave us a comment or drop us a line at lance [dot] paper [at] gmail [dot] com.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger The Voice Of Windsor said...

Great Blog ! Just came across it tonight while I was trying to track down more local sources for news. I'm trying once again to keep a local independent news blog going for Windsor. Doing it all on my own is exhausting though. I'm not sure if anyone at the University would be interested in writing for my site? I can't pay anyone, but if they want to submit a feature, story, editorial.. It would be great to see more variety on my site.

You can visit it at http://voiceofwindsor.org

It's truly in a beta state at the moment, but hope to become another source in Windsor for independent news.

1:17 AM

 
Blogger MsChilverRd said...

Great blog but you need to feature other people in the podcasts. Unfortunately I can't help you with that as I don't live in Windsor any longer. Its quite good so far - maybe you can interview some students at the U or feature some events that will be happening. Would have been cool to have something like this when I went to the U in the 90s - I would have had loads to bitch about !

6:53 AM

 
Blogger The Trail said...

The plan is that once classes begin, the videos will become more campus oriented, interviews with students, features relevant to them, etc.

This first batch of videos are more or less to inspire potential volunteers to help out and get involved; to show what's possible.

Believe me, I'm sick of hearing myself talk, too! ;)

12:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home